Thursday, April 30, 2015

last but not least....

After a very long road trip from Guatemala City into Todos Santos we arrived at our hotel where we were greeted with smiles and hugs by the founders of the GAAP (Global Alliance for Animals and People) Great people! Working with Elana & Guillermo was amazing! They are so dedicated to their projects in making this world a little better one project at a time. The world needs more people like them in it.

The people in Todos Santos were friendly and seemed grateful and happy that we were there, smiles everywhere! I felt welcome. I was surprised at the fact that no matter where we went the people of Todos Santos would smile and greet us. They have so little if anything at all but still manage to smile and say hello (Hola).
This experience has shown me that no matter how big or small are problems are we are very fortunate and should never take anything for granted. The people in Todos Santos work very hard and have so little but seem happy. I've also learned that these people truly love their pets and walk great distances to get to the the clinic.
This was my first time traveling with my coworkers to take part in this amazing adventure and I wasn't sure what to expect however for the most part it was pretty much how I pictured it. Dogs, cats roaming the street freely unlike the dogs/cats back home made me sad but I took comfort in knowing that we were there to help and better the situation for the people and their pets.
Saturday morning we had a day dedicated to the children in the community. Our goal was to teach the children and their families about proper care for their pets but having a little fun along the way. The kids loved the Face painting, balloons, games etc. My job was to help the kids make animal themed crowns which seemed to be a huge hit with the kids! So much so that some of them would come back to make a third and fourth crown. I watched as one little boy tried to trick me and he actually removed the crown he made then folded it up and tried to stuff it in his pocket so that he could make another. I smiled at him and helped him make a second crown but this one was going to be the best crown ever! I used half a pack of sticker jewels because his eyes grew wider and his smile bigger with each one so it made it harder for me to stop. He kept thanking me but his smile was more than enough.
Sunday we set up in the "Salon" (community gymnasium) for our upcoming week of vaccines and surgeries. Everyone worked so hard and it came together perfectly, Great team work!
Then our busy work week begun! I worked in recovery with the animals that were waking up from surgery as well as working with the veterinarians assisting in the exams and with administering vaccines. All hard work but the feeling you get at the end of each day made it all worth it!
I'm proud everyday to be a part of the Allandale team but this journey made me even more proud to work with these amazing ladies. This experience has given me so much and for that I'm grateful.

- Shawnah



No comments:

Post a Comment