Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fast approaching...V-Day!

About one  month away, Valentines Day will be here soon enough. A few hazards to ensure your pet doesn't become a victim of toxic ingestion...

Flowers. All species of lily are potentially fatal to cats. If possible, specify no lilies if buying an arrangement for a household with cats. If not, sort through the flowers to remove any lilies. Symptoms of lily ingestion in cats can be stomach upset, vomiting, or diarrhea. Likewise, thorns on roses or other flowers can be dangerous for dogs or other pets. Biting, stepping on, or swallowing stems with thorns increases risk for a puncture, which can result in serious infections internally or externally.

Chocolate. Many people receive chocolate on Valentine's Day—Americans spend some $1 billion on chocolate for this holiday alone—but it's important to remember that chocolate is toxic to both cats and dog. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Darker chocolates contain caffeine-like stimulants that cause gastrointestinal, neurologic, and cardiac functions that can cause vomiting/diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and elevated heart rate. However, any kind of chocolate—dark, milk, semi-sweet, and baker's chocolates—can cause adverse reactions. High fat in lighter chocolates can cause life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas, so make sure to keep the chocolate where pets can't reach it.

Along that note, what are you doing for your pet on this special holiday? How about giving them special cuddle time, baking dog treats in a heart, or giving them a new heart shaped tag with their name on it? There are lots and lots of ideas out there!